Vanilla Cardamom Syrup & A Hot Toddy
Posted on Friday, February 8th, 2013
Hot toddies really hit the spot this time of the year. When I ran across a hot toddy recipe using Vanilla Cardamom Syrup, I knew I had to make it because I had a bottle of my own handmade Vanilla Cardamom Syrup in the fridge. Cocktail kismet of sorts. I consider this luscious syrup a staple. It lives in between the real maple syrup and a bottle of homemade simple syrup in the fridge. I came up with this combination of flavors a year ago, when I spent a very fun day experimenting with herbal and spice simple syrups with my friend Melody. I like a drizzle of the Vanilla Cardamom Syrup on my morning yogurt too.
I have a terrible habit of scribbling down interesting recipes I find without also writing down the source. Why do I think I can remember it? I can’t remember what I ate for lunch by the end of the day. I’ve adapted this recipe a bit, but I’d like to give credit for the inspiration, which is missing in action. Here is my version.
Lush Lemon Hot Toddy
- 1 ounce gin
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce Vanilla Cardamom Syrup
- 4 ounces hot water
- garnish of lemon wheels and lemon verbena leaves
Mix everything in a heat proof mug or glass and relax.
Vanilla Cardamom Syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split down the middle with the seeds scraped out and put into the mixture
- 7 crushed cardamom pods (find them in bulk spices for less $)